Content

[Day 8] - Marathon Training

Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Too much Nike? by http://ainguyenphotography.photoshelter.com/
Strobist Info:
SB-900 above shot through umbrella at 1/2th
Triggered by onboard at 1/128th
In the three weeks of my training for the Marathon, so far this is the most painful experience that I have faced and felt so far. Based on my description of my pain, my friend Highlong told me it was shin splints and indeed it was. I thought it would go away after five to ten minutes of running like how it did with my knees and calves, but it did not. Thank God, I am blessed to have a close friend who is a certified orthopedic surgeon, but if his verdict come down to the lines that my legs are not meant for running or I won't be able to run. I am going to be depressed.

Based on Wiki:
"Most shin splints, known as Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS), can be attributed to overloading the muscles of the lower extremities or biomechanical irregularities. Muscle imbalance, including weakened core muscles lead to more lower-extremity injuries; also the inflexibility and tightness of the gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantar muscles can contribute to shin splints. [1] Increasing activity, intensity, and duration too quickly leads to shin splints because the tendons and muscles are unable to absorb the impact of the shock force as they become fatigued; also, the tibial bone-remodeling capabilities are overloaded...."

There are two types:
1) Anterolateral shin splints where the pain is located on the anterior and the lateral of the shin (on the front and outside of the shin). It is usually felt during running when the athlete’s heel touches the ground.

2) Posteromedial shin splints where the pain in the leg is on the inferior medial portion of the lower leg (the inside of the lower leg above the ankle) and can be triggered by standing on the toes or inverting the ankle.

I believe I was having Posteromedial shin splints.

Today my running exercise consisted of:
A five minute brisk walk at the speed of 3.7 and jog for 20 minutes non-stop.

The original workout following the program:
A brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)





Via Flickr:

0 comments:

Post a Comment